help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Cron Job for rebooting the radius.

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Cron Job for rebooting the radius.
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:16:16 +0300

Cline Communications, Corp. <address@hidden> wrote:

> It does not necessarily die or hang on the fault of the radius software.
> Perhaps it's a problem on the server end, but for one reason or another the
> server needs to be rebooted and restarting the radius software after
> rebooting is forgot about.

Well, anyway, let me note that I quite agree with Gerald: restarting it
seems to be a bad idea. If your radiusd coredumps or hangs or something
like that, let me know so I may fix the bug.

> Having a script that detects if it is running or
> not would be great as it would constantly check and if it's not running it
> would start it, right?!

The following command does the trick:

   radctl -s which >/dev/null || radctl restart

For example, adding this to your crontab:

*/5 * * * *   radctl -s which >/dev/null || radctl restart

will each 5 minutes check if the daemon is still running, and if not
will restart it. Notice, that you may need to supply the full path
to radctl.

Regards,
Sergey