help-gnu-radius

[Help-gnu-radius] gnu radius on distributed servers

From: Dan Beldiman
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] gnu radius on distributed servers
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:51:15 +0200

Hi,

I have been using gnu-radius for over a year now and am very happy with it.
For redundancy reaons we have three radius servers which are in different
locations.
Our current setup uses one as the primary server, and only if that one fails
the other server will be used. This worked pretty well (except for a few
sessions that where not closed).

Some new application will be soon using our radius server, and it use round
robbin over all the server so it are also doing load balancing.
If the requests are now going randomly to any of my three server, the acc
request will go to a different server then the auth request, this will lead
the radius server to have many open sessions and the accounting won't work.

Does any one have a solution for this problem ?

I thought of using mysql replication to replicate the databases of the
radius servers, but this would not take care of the radwtmp files.

I don't need the accounting information for actual accounting, rather for
statistics, so if I miss a few calls, I don't care.

I'd be thankfull for any suggestions

Dan