help-gnu-utils

Re: gmake: how to avoid $$@ usage?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: gmake: how to avoid $$@ usage?
Date: 01 Mar 2005 15:23:42 -0500

%% Ernest <ecrvichNOSPAM@NOSPAMfootbag.org> writes:

  e> "Paul D. Smith" <psmith@gnu.org> wrote in

  e> True, true.  And I have to support a version of make that doesn't
  e> feature the $(eval) function (Rational's clearmake in GNU compat
  e> mode), unfortunately.  I can't even use the $(if) function.  Nor
  e> $(call).

Oh.  Clearmake.  You're screwed.

  e> Any idea on a clean way to approach this?  I'd rather not have to
  e> generate makefiles on the fly to do it, but if that's the only way
  e> (without $(eval), $(if), etc.), I can look into that.

If you're restricted to the capabilities of clearmake -C gnu, then you
have no chance.  You'll have to generate makefiles.  And, clearmake
doesn't support GNU make's auto-re-exec method so you'll have to
actually do this by invoking clearmake twice, explicitly.

Sorry.  Be sure to thank your friendly neighborhood ClearCase support
rep.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at: