help-gnu-utils

gettext and libiconv circular dependencies

From: Gary Ebert
Subject: gettext and libiconv circular dependencies
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:29:51 GMT

I posted a problem with resolving a circular dependency between gettext and libiconv on FreeBSD some time ago (June of '04 to be precise). I was just installing FreeBSD on a throw-away computer from my wifes school to use as a print server. I did a full install including the "ports" directory. After the install as I was installing X11, xemacs, etc I noticed that both gettext and libiconv installed and compiled without complaint. The versions of gettext and libiconv are the same on both machines. I'm still not sure what the problem was when I tried to compile these two libraries from the FreeBSD side of my Mac OS X machine but if others are having this problem I just wanted to let you know that installing the "ports" directory/files seems to work just fine.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem,

                        Gary