help-gnu-utils

Re: How to include automatic variables as part of a dependency

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: How to include automatic variables as part of a dependency
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 15:46:47 -0600

Michael Powell wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
>
> Do you happen to know of a way to subscribe to that mailing list? I
> can't seem to find it and I've checked the gnu.org web site.

Ah...  *That* is a question I can help with! :-)

================

One does not need to be subscribed in order to post.  The default is
that people will group reply to as I have done here.  But it is always
good to say you are not subscribed if you are not to ensure a copy.
Just sending a message to help-make@gnu.org would post there the same
as you have been sending messages to help-gnu-utils@gnu.org .  There
is no difference.

================

Another way is that the GNU make web directory is here:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/make/

I typed in "https://www.gnu.org/software/"; to the browser location bar
and then added "make" to the end.  Since I knew the project was called
make.  You can get to any of the projects this way.  For example the
example project "hello" and most others can be typed in there.

On the https://www.gnu.org/software/make/ page it lists information
about the project, documentation and other thigns, and about the
mailing lists associated with it.

================

Another way is that many projects are hosted on Savannah, the GNU
Project software forge.  The main Savannah page is here:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/

Then simply search for the "make" project.  The search will turn up
this path for it.

  https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/make

Then select the "Mailing lists" link and it lists mailing lists
associated with the project.

Mailman automated robot.

> Or a Google Group for that matter.

Of course Google uses proprietary software for their stuff and here
for the GNU Project it is all about the libre free software. :-)

Therefore we have always hosted ourselves on completely libre free
software, also making that software available to anyone else who would
like to do the same.

> Search criteria on "make" for instance, or with combinations, are a
> little to relaxed and do not turn up useful results even when
> constrained by things like "gnu".

I am rather surprised by this.  When I search for "gnu make" the very
first link is the main project page.  Actually the first eight links
are all properly related to pages associated with GNU make.  But no
matter.  Hopefully the above hints are useful to learn more about the
GNU Project.

  https://www.gnu.org/

Hope this helps!

Bob