help-gnubatch

[help-gnubatch] Any support for resource limits?

From: Wechsler, Steven
Subject: [help-gnubatch] Any support for resource limits?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:54:20 -0400

I’m just getting started with GNU Batch, so please be gentle.

I know that it has the ability to define a load for a job, and the maximum load that a host can handle. What I’m looking to do is be able to set up an arbitrary resource that’s not restricted to the host level.

For example, most of our hosts have multiple database servers running on them. I’d like to restrict certain types of activities (e.g. ETLs) to one or two at a time per database instance, but I don’t care how many are running per host (since the database instances don’t affect one another too much).

The way I’m doing this now is with cron and a resource management system (that I wrote) running on a MySQL Database. The system keeps track of how many jobs are accessing a particular resource, and won’t allow any more jobs that require that resource to start until another has exited and released that resource (it’s actually a little more complicated than that; when a job acquires a resource, it tells the system what percentage of the resource it needs and the system won’t let the total percent go above 100). I was hoping to be able to retire this system when we moved to GNU Batch (BMC Control-M has this feature) but it looks I may not be able to.

Thanks!

Steve Wechsler
Senior Database Administrator

Viacom Media Networks