help-gnubatch

Re: [help-gnubatch] How to run a job on a remote machine?

From: John Collins (Xi Software Ltd)
Subject: Re: [help-gnubatch] How to run a job on a remote machine?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:05:50 +0100

On 24/06/12 10:28, Reuti wrote:
Hi,

Am 20.06.2012 um 00:30 schrieb Ralf Kraudelt:

I have a simple question, I guess. How can I run a remote runnable job on a remote machine?

Remote runnable means: I define a job on machine 1, but I can on run the job on (not only from) machine 2.

I use 2 machines. A job is defined in machine 1, it's a simple 'uname -a'. The job is marked as remote runnable. Machine 2 can see the job. I use gbch-xq to check the existence and parameters of the job on both machines.

Now I try to run the job on machine 2. I use 'force' in the context menu of gbch-xq on machine 2 to run the job. The result is a mail on machine 1 with the uname-result for machine 1. This means that the job was executed on machine 1, but not as expected on machine 2.

I have no clue how to run a remote runnable job on a remote machine. I couldn't find any hint in the 3 PDF doc files on this topic. Or did I understand something completely wrong? Could somebody please give me a hint on how to run a remote runnable job on a remote machine?
is it working if you use gbch-rr to send it to a remote machine directly, i.e. specifying the machine?

-- Reuti

Try setting LOADLEVEL to zero then making the job remote runnable and then ready to run - it should then do it. The trouble with what you are doing is that that the "nearest" machine - the local machine will grab it first before the other machine gets a look in.

The original idea of remote runnable is load balancing. But it hasn't been used nearly as much as gbch-rr and I'm not 100% sure that the lock code is bulletproof.

You could make a condition that it doesn't run on the same machine it's submitted on by saying MACHINE!='localmachine".

You can also use a so-called "clustered" variable (I don't know why it's called that it wasn't my name) which is "sticky" about using the local machine's version of that variable. But don't get in the habit of using that, I know it's wrong.

Rel 2 of GNUbatch will just use "XYZ" to mean the local copy of that variable on whatever machine it's run on and "ABC:XYZ" to mean specifically the variable XYZ on machine ABC.

--
John Collins address@hidden Xi Software Ltd www.xisl.com

Phone: +44 (0)1707 886110 Home Phone: +44 (0)1707 883174
Mobile: +44 (0)7958 387247 (address@hidden)

Trading Address 3 Mandeville Rise, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL8 7JT, UK

Registered in England Company Number 01977148 VAT GB 403 9239 64 R/O: 2 Mill Road, Haverhill, Suffolk, CB9 8BD