Re: [Help-gnunet] A couple problems with gnunet 0.4.2 - Also compile pro

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] A couple problems with gnunet 0.4.2 - Also compile problems in 0.4.3
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:27:30 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Christian Grothoff wrote:

> > Some points are in order so that you won't feel ignored. ;) First,
> > those are not small figures. 324798 queries signifies you tried
> > to download something pretty big, or you were pretty persistent
> > with smaller stuff. Though I haven't noticed an upper limit on
> > filesize in gnunets capability of transferring files, I wouldn't
> > personally attempt download anything over 10 megs at this point.
> The technical limit is currently 2^31 (or 32) bytes, which imo is sufficient
> for anything that will be reasonable in a very long time. :-)

Ok, ok. My bad. :) What I meant was something on the nontechnical
lines of "given the speed and reliability experienced up to now what
size of file one can think of as a reasonable download attempt".

That is, in the current network, I might attempt to download
a 200kb file and not feel too bad if it fails on a couple of
last blocks. However, attempting and failing a 500 meg piece
would bug me a lot more because of the resources, time and
trust spent. If there is no guarantee or implication whatsoever
that such a big file is entirely available, I wouldn't attempt
to download that.

Igor