[Help-gnunet] user feedback

From: Darren
Subject: [Help-gnunet] user feedback
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:03:50 -0500

Let me briefly say that this system appears to have a lot of promise.

I have read all the whitepapers, and have been running a node for several days
now.

My experience with Fastrack (Kazaa, the former Morpheus...) & Gnutella tell me
that, as is the case with many p2p designs, spam will be one major problem with
this design unless a user feedback system is put in place.  This is briefly
discussed at the end of the paper on economics.

Spammers will hijack all the most popular keywords and flood the network with
their (probably irrellevant) content.  Unfortunatly, they will gain rank for
sending proper replies for the content they propose to offer, since it is not
possible to know the contents until it has been obtained.

On the other hand, were a user feedback system put into place, great care must
be taken...since technically this is just censorship, no?  Perhaps a 'spam'
ranking can be attached to the content somehow.  This spam ranking can be
increased by trusted nodes that download content.  A high enough ranking would
certainly deter unknowing people from downloading false content.  But
safeguards are necessary here also, to prevent legitimate content from being
falsely flagged.

Another thing I'm not quite clear on, along similar lines.  Does content
(particularly unpopular content) disappear over time, as is the case with
freenet?  I'm sure that was discussed in one of the white papers, and I somehow
missed it.
--
Darren <address@hidden>