Re: [Help-gnunet] trouble with cvs

From: Benjamin Kay
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] trouble with cvs
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:41:47 +0000

On Sunday 02 November 2003 08:36 pm, Christian Grothoff wrote:

Did some guess-and-check of my own:

Fails:
gcc version     : 3.2.3
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.13
automake                : 1.7.8
libtool         : 1.4.3

Fails:
gcc version     : 3.3.2
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.57a
automake                : 1.7.8
libtool         : 1.4.3

Fails:
gcc version     : 3.3.2
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.57a
automake                : 1.7.2
libtool         : 1.4.3

Fails, says autoconf 2.57 or higher is required:
gcc version     : 3.3.2
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.54
automake                : 1.7.2
libtool         : 1.4.3

Fails:
gcc version     : 3.3.2
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.13
automake                : 1.7.2
libtool         : 1.4.3

Fails:
gcc version     : 3.3.2
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.53a
automake                : 1.7.2
libtool         : 1.4.3

Fails:
gcc version     : 3.3.2
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.57a
automake                : 1.6.3
libtool         : 1.4.3

Fails:
gcc version     : 3.3.2
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.57a
automake                : 1.7.5
libtool         : 1.4.3

Fails:
gcc version     : 3.3.2
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.57a
automake                : 1.6.1
libtool         : 1.4.3

Fails:
gcc version     : 3.3.2
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.13
automake                : 1.6.1
libtool         : 1.4.3

Fails:
gcc version     : 3.3.2
Gnu make                : 3.80
autoconf                : 2.13
automake                : 1.7.5
libtool         : 1.4.3

and so on and so forth

On Sunday 02 November 2003 10:58 pm, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> bootstrap.sh runs autoreconf, most distributions have a wrapper around
> various autotools to aid in compatability, the wrapper will look for
> certain things to decide which version of the autotool to run.

> snip <

> If you have multiple versions of autotools installed and the wrapper
> isnt doing its job then try and run the commands manually, i.e.
>
> aclocal-1.7
> automake1-1.7 -a -f (-a means add files, -f force)
> autoconf-2.57 -i -f (-i means insert (add) files, -f force)

OK, tried doing it your way...
cd GNUnet
cd libltdl
aclocal-1.x
autoconf-2.57 -i -f
automake-1.x -a -f
(in x = 4, "automake-1.4 -a")

automake-1.x where x is greater than 4 always fails with:
configure.ac:54: required file `./config-h.in' not found

automake-1.4 fails spectacularly with:
automake: configure.ac: installing `[.]/install-sh'; error while making link:
No such file or directory

automake: configure.ac: installing `[.]/mkinstalldirs'; error while making
link: No such file or directory

automake: configure.ac: installing `[.]/missing'; error while making link: No
such file or directory

configure.ac: 173: required file `[.]/ltmain.sh' not found
configure.ac: 173: installing `[.]/config.guess'; error while making link: No
such file or directory

configure.ac: 173: installing `[.]/config.sub'; error while making link: No
such file or directory

automake: configure.ac: installing `[.]/config.guess'; error while making
link: No such file or directory

automake: configure.ac: installing `[.]/config.sub'; error while making link:
No such file or directory

configure.ac: 54: required file `./config-h.in]' not found

And automake-2.57 when run after aclocal-1.5 does not fail, but warns:
configure.ac:54: warning: do not use m4_patsubst: use patsubst or m4_bpatsubst
configure.ac:79: warning: do not use m4_regexp: use regexp or m4_bregexp

Oh, and for the record, "autoconf-2.13" always fails with:
autoconf: configure.in: No such file or directory

Ideas?