Re: [Help-gnunet] Noise pollution

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Noise pollution
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:15:44 -0800

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 16:31, Bram Neijt wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was wondering how much noise it to much. Looking at the GNUnet-GTK
> stats, I sometimes get about 50% noise.
>
> Is there a rule to drop nodes sending to much noise? Because if not,
> this would be an easy attack on the system, right?

Nodes sending you noise will not be dropped per-se.  But your node recognizes
that this is worthless traffic.  The bandwidth allocator will allocate more
bandwidth to peers that send valueable traffic.  If peers send more traffic
than was allocated to them, their connections will be dropped (but of course,
the peer cannot prevent them from continuing to send UDP messages, which
would then be immediately discarded).

So there is no upper limit on noise, but peers are not free to send arbitrary
amounts of it.  Also, check gnunet-stats for better traffic data, gnunet-gtk
maybe misleading since it gives you snapshots over short periods of time.

Christian