Re: [Help-gnunet] GNUnet 0.7.2a released

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] GNUnet 0.7.2a released
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 19:27:20 -0600

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 15:13, David Kuehling wrote:

> > I wonder how you managed to restart gnunetd without gnunet-update --
> > the code does check.  The only way I can think of this happening is
> > that you might have started gnunetd with a different directory /
> > configuration.
>
> Running gnunet-update, I just saw the following message:
>
> Jul 10 22:55:45 ERROR: `mysql_query' failed at mysql.c:1542 with error:
> Lost connection to MySQL server during query
>
> I also remember having seen the same message when running gnunetd
> v0.7.2a the first time.  Does this point to a specific problem?

Well, it means that the mysql daemon died or that there was a timeout.  Sadly,
despite the MySQL documentation stating otherwise
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html), I've not been able
to get mysqld to log the specific cause of the disconnect (log-warnings=2
does not help), no matter what I've tried (we increased some timeout values
to make it happen less often, but that does not mean that the problem went
away).

Anyway, in theory gnunetd automatically re-connects as needed and all is well.
In practice, depending on how you have configured mysqld (in,
say, /etc/mysql/my.cnf), there maybe other issues like exceeding the number
of connections with the daemon (I've explored some rather extreme
configuration options that caused this error to happen all the time).  So
yes, it points to an error.  GNUnet does what it can to recover, fixing it
for real would require mysql to provide reasonable diagnostics, which on my
system it does not.

The problem seems to arise only  for large InnoDB databases (mine had grown to
15 GB!), and I've read that InnoDB has "known scalability problems".  So
maybe that's the issue, hard to say -- I'm not that deep into MySQL database
tuning.

Hope this clears things up somewhat.

Christian