Re: [Help-gnunet] How to configure a different incomming and outgoing ad

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] How to configure a different incomming and outgoing address for gnunet
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:55:15 -0600

On Monday 29 September 2008 11:34:56 am Jaroslav Fojtik wrote:
> Dears,
>
> A, I am behind NAT and I would like to configure gnunet to perform as good
> as possible. Is it possible to configure gnunet to accept different IP
> address for incomming and outgoing communication?

Well, you can specify (with the IP option) what IP address other peers will
use for contacting you (that's kind of incoming).  You don't need to specify
the IP address for outgoing communication, your OS will put that in and there
is nothing GNUnet can pick (especially for an inbound request; for outbound
requests GNUnet could theoretically pick the interface to use, but we don't
offer an option for that yet).

What you should do is determine your external IP address (for NAT), punch a
hole into your NAT (tell NAT to forward 2086 to your LAN IP) and specify the
external IP in the gnunetd.conf file (IP option, set LIMITED=NO).

> B, Anyway gnunet disappointed me a little bit. I have attempted to publish
> something say far.exe at home ane it was unable to find it from work. Even
> when 24 peers are listing.

Depending how large the network (and especially the ultimate path between the
two peers) is, the search may take quite a while.  Also, you might want to
check (say with gnunet-search) that the *keyword* you are looking for is the
keyword that your home system is sharing the file with (search on your home
system first to confirm that it is working).

> C, Second point seems that gnunetd has memory leak. After one week of
> running a client it eats 256MB of memory. It seems to me too much because
> newly executed demon eats 23MB of memory.

Total memory consumption depends largely on specified bandwidth availability.
It will grow over the first week or so because initially most of the buffers
are empty / unallocated, and over time gnunet is actually able to fill those
buffers.  Also, if you are using sqlite, the sqlite library may start to
buffer parts of the database in memory (using mysql will move that buffering
out of process and make it configurable).  I've run gnunetd plenty of times
with valgrind (and so have others) and AFAIK no leaks have been found in
recent releases (doesn't mean that they don't exist -- but we need a bit more
than "it grows" to do something; I do agree that 256 MB is a bit much).

Christian