Re: [Help-gnunet] email-like service atop of GNUnet?

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] email-like service atop of GNUnet?
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 22:14:19 +0700

[…]

 >> If so, is it possible to use the public key of the same key pair to
 >> encrypt (directly, or using a block cipher, in a usual way)
 >> arbitrary data to be “sent” securely to the namespace's owner?

 > Technically yes, except that no API exists for you to do so.

        ACK, thanks.

 >> Also, is there be a way for the namespace's owner to search for the
 >> data sent to him or her that way?

 > Well, again we'd need to define how this would happen (i. e. under
 > which key the owner would need to search, what the format of the data
 > is, etc.).

        That being said, I don't quite understand how do I search the
        data stored under namespaces as currently implemented?  I've
        tried to publish some data with a command like:

$ gnunet-publish -P 〈pseudonym〉 -t 〈name〉 …

        but the following gnunet-search(1) invocation seems to only find
        it below gnunet://fs/chk/.  (The documentation seems a little
        bit scarce, doesn't it?  Or was I just looking at a wrong
        place?)

 >> Or is there any other way to exchange messages between GNUnet users
 >> (in a secure manner)?

 > The SecuShare people are working on that; GNUnet's mesh routing
 > infrastructure will be the basis for that, so I'd say message
 > exchange between users is work-in-progress ;-).

        Indeed, I feel their goals worth pursuing (and their ideas align
        with my own), but I'm somewhat in doubt as to to what extent
        they're going to re-use the existing GNUnet code base?

        Also, their mailing lists' [1, 2] archives are “for subscribers
        only” (and, presumably, they won't want them replicated at
        Gmane, either), which is a bit strange for a free software
        project in general, and a project dedicated to building
        (effectively) a data replication system in particular.

--
FSF associate member #7257