help-gnustep

Re: Renaissance on OS X

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Renaissance on OS X
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:15:22 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

> Apologies for an elementary question.
> I have been trying to use Renaissance-0.7 on OS X, I have gnustep-make
> installed on it but when I try the example in the tuturial on OS 10.2.3
>   using the GNUmakefile

Thanks for your interest.

My first reaction would be ... Have you "sourced" GNUstep.sh ?

You can check if you have or not, by typing

echo $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES

at the command prompt.  If it prints nothing, then you have not, so your
problem is that make is not be able to find gnustep-make's makefiles.
The solution is, if you have installed gnustep-make into directory /xxx
(if you specified nothing, /usr/GNUstep is used by default), you need to
type

. /xxx/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

Once you have done this, 'echo $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES' should print
/xxx/System/Makefiles.

For example, by default gnustep-make is installed into

/usr/GNUstep/

then in order to use it, you need to type at the (shell) command line
prompt

. /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

If this doesn't solve your problem, please let me know.

=

PS: I thought I had explained how to setup Renaissance on Apple Mac OS X,
but looking on the web pages, I couldn't find the explanation anywhere;
which might explain your problems.

I now added a link to the Apple Mac OS X installation instructions on the
Documentation page, so hopefully that will help people in their first
attempts at using Renaissance on Apple Mac OS X.

Thanks for your interest! :-)