help-gnustep

Re: localization

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: localization
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:47:43 +0000 (GMT)

> what is the best way to handle changes in grammar when localizing
> applications? for example, in one language it may be more normal to
> say:
>
> 34 entries, 5 selected
>
> and in another
>
> 5 entries of 34 selected
>
> (I find the second one a bit odd, for English)
>
> Using the formatted string @"%i entries, %i selected" doesn't allow
> for translation to the second string.

I don't see a trivial solution.  I imagine you have to either change the
way you write the message, or have custom code to manage it. :-(

> It appears that using Gorm files would make localization easier in
> this case,  for a change. :)

Why ?

Hmmm.  Is that because you have to have a different .gorm file for each
language ?  Then Renaissance allows you to have a different .gsmarkup file
for each language as well if you want. :-)

(still I'm not sure having a different .gorm/.gsmarkup file for each
language would help in your case).

Let us know if you find more on the issue.