help-gnustep

Re: GNUstep fails to build on SUSE 9.2

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GNUstep fails to build on SUSE 9.2
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:24:38 +0200

BK wrote:

> I am trying to build GNUstep on SUSE 9.2 (virgin install with all devl
> packages installed) but it seems to me that GNUstep doesn't like SUSE,
> at least not 9.2.
>
> If I try to use the gnustep-startup package, it complains about missing
> JPEG, TIFF and PNG libraries, which is nonsense because those libraries
> are installed and they do show up both in Yast utility or with rpm -i. I
> guess the GNUstep check is broken.

Strange, I'll in the process of setting up an SuSE 9.2 ftp installation
right now as I'm currently running installation tests for our software.
 I don't suppose you still have the original config.log's of -make and
-base around for the initial configure run.

> Anyway, I moved on trying to build the four basic packages (make, base,
> gui and backend) one by one and now the check for JPEG, TIFF and PNG
> libraries says "yes" when I run configure, but unfortunately it
> complains about ffcall/libffi not being present.
>
> I cannot download ffcall because the ftp site is down and there seems to
> be no mirror, so I tried to run configure with the parameter
> --with-ffi-include but still it complains about a missing ffi library.
> This strikes me as odd because as far as I know, libffi is part of gcc,
> which I have installed (everything other than g77 and gnat).

You can get it from gnustep's site:

ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/libs/ffcall-1.10.tar.gz

> Has anybody built GNUstep on SUSE 9.2 before? Can anybody assist please?

I've been installing on 9.1 a lot lately but without gui/back.  I'll see
what happens with the 9.2 build right now in which I'll try the Startup
script.

Good luck!

Cheers,
David