help-gnustep

Question about using Startup

From: Dimitri Chausson
Subject: Question about using Startup
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:01:32 +0100

Hi,

I want to install a recent version of GNUstep on my OS (Debian etch aka
testing). I have downloaded:
core
dev-apps
dev-libs
dgs
Startup
usr-apps

After unpacking the archives, I started the InstallGNUstep script. As I want to
install it in my home directory, I should not need to become root, so I choose
point 2 when asked. After a short while, the following warnings are issued:

W109 Warning
For security reasons, your make program will not pass LD_LIBRARY_PATH
along. If you chose option 1 when running Startup, you'll probably need to
start again and use 'sudo ./InstallGNUstep' or 'su root; ./InstallGNUstep'.
You may need to compile/install applications when you are logged in
as root, or use 'make LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH install'.
I199 Information
GNUstep is not installed yet. Please proceed with installation of GNUstep
as long as you have resolved other errors listed here.
You are ready to install GNUstep. However, please pay special
attention to any warnings printed above and consider correcting
them if they seem important
This package installs these versions of the GNUstep libraries:
  GNUstep Make: CVS
  GNUstep Base: CVS
  GNUstep Gui: CVS

As explained before, I don't want to su to root, but can someone explain me
what the alternative is, is there something to change in the script for make to
pass LD_LIBRARY_PATH ? Sorry, but it is not clear enough for me..

Many thanks for your help,

Dimitri

PS: GNUSTEP_START_VERSION=0.14.0