help-gnustep

Re: Debugging?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Debugging?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:09:43 -0700

On 2006-03-18 10:47:57 -0700 Christian Stieber <stieber.c@web.de> wrote:

Hi,

well, I recently found gnustep, and decided to give it a try. On a
Linux box, I got the current version of gcc (4.1; since I suspected
that trying to use my old 2.95 installation wouldn't do much good); I
also installed the gnustep base libraries, and restarted my current
project using objective-c/gnustep.

Actually, I still test on a 2.95 system, but anyway...

Eventually I figured out how to compile and link with the gnustep
libraries (still getting bugged warnings, but I'm ignoring these for
now) --- it seemed easier to do it that way, rather than trying
to analyse the gnustep make stuff to see how to incorporate these
into my own project.

Try the tutorial:

http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Tutorials/WritingMakefiles/

You can write a whole makefile in 4 lines.

But then I decided to take the next step --- getting a clean compile,
so I could actually try to debug the stuff I already have before
continuing.

I got the current gdb (6.3) and ran it --- but currently I'm stuck
here: for some reason, gdb singlesteps not only through my code, but
also through the runtime system. So it looks like this:

You probably compiled the runtime with debugging information (-g). You need to compile it without debugging, or try to strip it (I'm not sure that works with a library, though???).