help-gnustep

Re: GNUstepWeb on Debian ?

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GNUstepWeb on Debian ?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:13:19 +0200

Adam Fedor schrieb:
> I'm not sure you read help-gnustep, but I thought you might be able to
> answer this:

Thanks for forwarding, I think that I am on help-gnustep but I missed
this message.

>> 'allo,
>>

>>    Can anyone give me pointers to where I could
>> get GSWeb as a package for Debian/PPC ?  Or for
>> that matter, even some information on how well it
>> works ?  Is it "stable" (I understand the term is relative) ?
>> Is it "actively" being worked on ?

Well, I believe there is no Debian package for GNUstepWeb (at least not
in Sarge).  I would suspect the main reason is the lack of releases on
our side.  But I would assume that that FHS together with some the
GSW/WO makefile foo we have, could also be an issue.

On the question of how well does it work, I would have to say, YMMV
(your mileage may vary).  We currently use it in production environments
and it works for us even though we have a few issues which I work on as
time permits.

It is "stable" in the sense that some of us try to commit changes
incrementally on an issue bases but once in while (about once or twice a
year) there have been large commits which are difficult to track.  If
you are referring to "stability" in API/ABI, then I think that we
currently over exposing many conveniences and extensions.  But some of
them are being used in production systems and we don't have clear plan
on which ones should be deprecated or implemented differently, so they
currently remain until someone finds time to do the cleanup.

I do not know of any "active" development, with the exception of David
Wetzel's branch in which I believe dynamic elements are being rewritten.

I believe the problem is that GSWeb works "well enough" for it's current
users who are busy with projects using GSWeb, that the project itself
remains stagnant in it's current state.  And it's not until the next big
commit that the pressure is there to continue on focusing on pending
cleanups.

If you want to help out, please let us know.

Cheers,
David