help-gnustep

Can't make (Possibly missing some GNUStep components)

From: Rob Larkins
Subject: Can't make (Possibly missing some GNUStep components)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:02:25 -0400

I'm trying to get a feed aggregator installed and it needs GNUStep.
According to the software author, once GNUStep is installed, all it
takes to compile the aggregator is typing "make" on the command line-
but it's not working for me. So either the feed software doesn't compile
as easily as the author claims or GNUStep isn't installed correctly, and
it's hard for me to tell which is which.

Evidence I installed GNUStep:

Well, I tried installing it through Synaptic (I'm running Kubuntu), and
then because I thought I was still missing packages I installed the rest
on the command line like this according to instructions @
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/sources.html#debian for installing
GNUStep on Debian):

sudo apt-get install gnustep gnustep-devel gnustep-games

And then, still worried I was missing packages, I tried installing the
packages for Ubuntu listed here:
http://gnustep.blogspot.com/2005/12/gnustep-on-ubuntuppc.html

I couldn't find all of them in Synaptic, but if there was a  named
similarly named package, I installed that one.

Anyway, when I try to compile the feed aggregator I get the error:

GNUmakefile:2: /common.make: No such file or directory
GNUmakefile:25: /application.make: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/application.make'.  Stop.

So I'm guessing I'm still missing parts of GNUStep, but which parts
would they be and how do I install them?

-Rob