help-gnustep

Re: Install GNUStep on Ubuntu 16

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Install GNUStep on Ubuntu 16
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 08:51:57 +0000

If you are just starting off, install whatever packages come inside Ubuntu, with the understanding they are probably out of date and a lot of new development happened in the meantime.

Installing gnustep-make, -base, -gui and -back from the packages, as well as GORM and ProjectCenter, means you can start playing with writing software and worry about working with latest and greatest later.

This doesn't mean you didn't run into an actual bug; it does mean that if you are just starting off, it may not make personal sense for you to fiddle with compiling from scratch.

If you would still like to compile from scratch, we can chat over IM (preferably XMPP) to guide you and figure out where the instructions you have went wrong. Or I can try setting up a copy of Ubuntu 16.04 and try out my deployment script in it before pointing you to it.