help-gnustep

Re: Install GNUStep on Ubuntu 16

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Install GNUStep on Ubuntu 16
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 21:18:13 +0100

Note, I am in no way discounting your bad experience. Things could be much, much smoother. However, do take note of some things.

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 12:00 PM, fortuna07 <g.huber1@gmx.net> wrote:
OK, I was in holiday this week and had time to think about my GNUStep
project.
What I see until here:
- GNUStep is hard or not to install for a normal user

Note that you have, yourself, concluded that you need a newer version of Gorm.

There was Gorm packaged in the distribution you used.

Would it have been a troublesome piece of software had you installed it from distribution? Would it have been troublesome if you were not developing your own project?

If you had been able to "apt-get install gnustep gnustep-devel" (which is something you didn't even try from the get-go, and later you have discovered that you still want to build from source), would it still be a problem?

- GNUStep seams to be not ready yet, it is not well tested, there are
several things missing, many things don't work

I am not sure what 'yet' means, it's been around for many years and there are people using not only GNUstep apps, there are people running whole desktop on it.

We welcome contributions to things that you feel are missing. Procedure, regrettably, involves copyright assignment which FSF accepts through snail mail (!), but we are otherwise welcoming incoming code.

Do note, it's much easier to avoid "I cannot load xibs in Gorm" or "class X is missing" or "subsystem Y is missing" if you start developing with GNUstep and continue with porting to other implementations.

- Beside some users, help in internet and from users is not present

*shrug* I've tried to help reasonably much. You can mostly follow Cocoa documentation and try if it works; if certain functionality does not work, you can choose between fixing it or avoiding it.

GNUstep-specific documentation is sometimes not easiest to find, but things are there, and the environment is learnable.

So I will stop this project.

*shrug* Your choice :)