help-gnutls

[Help-gnutls] Re: Restore gnutls session after execvp - possible?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [Help-gnutls] Re: Restore gnutls session after execvp - possible?
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:51:06 +0100

FlashCode <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing an IRC client called WeeChat
> (http://weechat.flashtux.org).
> I'm adding a new feature: /upgrade command, which does an execvp() of
> weechat, without closing connections to servers (sockets are still
> open after execvp).
>
> For some servers, user may connect thru gnutls (SSL), and I need to save
> session in file when upgrading, then restore it when starting new
> process.
>
> Is it possible to do that with gnutls today?
>
> I saw an example in the doc, but situation is not exactly the same,
> socket is reopen after close, then gnutls session reloaded.
> In my case, socket is not closed.

How do you achieve that?  I thought you had to close sockets and
re-open them in a new process.

I don't know how to achieve what you want in GnuTLS, but I don't know
how to achieve what you already do either (exec another process and
inherit the open socket) so I may likely be missing something.
Perhaps others know more.