help-gnutls

[Help-gnutls] Re: Verifying subjectAltNames

From: Matthias Wimmer
Subject: [Help-gnutls] Re: Verifying subjectAltNames
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:03:04 +0100

Simon Josefsson schrieb:
Hi!  I think we should improve gnutls_x509_crt_get_subject_alt_name()
here -- it doesn't support otherName SAN's, which is what RFC 3920 is
using.  I'd expect that you got the GNUTLS_E_X509_UNKNOWN_SAN error?

Yes, that's what I got.

So I tried to use gnutls_x509_crt_get_extension_by_oid() which returns
me the subjectAltName extension, that contains what I am looking
for. The question now is: does GnuTLS support me processing the
returned DER data, or do I have to use libtasn for further processing?

No, GnuTLS doesn't support that.  Using libtasn1 to do this is
possible, but it is easier to add the functionality to GnuTLS itself.

For me as a library user anyway :-) I don't usurp to use libtasn1 directly.

I'm not sure what a good API would be, maybe you could suggest
something?

Well for my purpose / the purpose of using GnuTLS for XMPP (RFC 3920) the best would be to have a higher level function like gnutls_x509_crt_check_hostname(), e.g. gnutls_x509_crt_check_jid() where instead of a hostname, a JID (= XMPP address) is passed in.

If the JID contains an '@' or '/' sign, the JID is only checked against the id-on-xmppAddr. Else the JID is an IDN, which is checked (as UTF-8 value) against the id-on-xmppAddr or (after punicode-encoding) against dNSName. If neither id-on-xmppAddr nor dNSName is present in the certificate, a check against CN is done.

But sure this is only a solution for XMPP, and it might be good to have an interface to access arbitrary otherNames ...

What is missing is a field to return the OID of the
otherName data.  Perhaps we could add a function like:

int
gnutls_x509_crt_get_subject_alt_name2 (gnutls_x509_crt_t cert,
                                       unsigned int seq,
                                       void *ret,
                                       size_t * ret_size,
                                       void *oid,
                                       size_t *oid_size,
                                       unsigned int *critical)

If the SAN is an otherName, it would return the OID.

Maybe gnutls_x509_crt_get_subject_alt_name() could return an error code indicating, that it is an otherName. In that case the user could have two functions: one to get the oid of the otherName, and another to get the value!?

What would the simplest API be for you?  Maybe one that searched
through the entire SAN for a particular otherName OID?

The best API for me would be the one I described above. But a function, that allows me to check for otherName/id-on-xmppAddr extenions would be okay for me as well.

Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56