help-gnutls

Re: [Help-gnutls] Re: OpenPGP certificate verification for TLS connectio

From: Matthias Urlichs
Subject: Re: [Help-gnutls] Re: OpenPGP certificate verification for TLS connections
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 21:12:01 +0200

Hi,

Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
> i think this is precisely what is needed, actually.  Take as an
> existing example, the default form of key/identity matching used in
> OpenSSH: the ~/.ssh/known_hosts file.  An entry in that file indicates
> that the user trusts that the key is bound to that host (the host
> being the agent who controls that key).

Good example, that. I do NOT want to ask my user "is that really the key
of the host you want to talk to?" questions. In a large system, that's
pointless, especially as you're really not supposed to give the same key
to multiple hosts. Does any of you ever check that fingerprint against
the original?

So what I *really* want is a host key that's signed by the systems'
admin key, and I want to tell my users, or rather my default suer setup,
"if you see a host key that's signed by _that_ key here, and if you're
connecting to hosts in _these_ domains, maybe print a nice info the
first time you see it in an interactive session, but otherwise assume
it's OK".

Or something along these lines.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  address@hidden
 - -

Three: one to screw it in, and one to confuse the issue.