help-gnutls

Re: [Help-gnutls] Re: duplicate symbols complaint on Mac OS X 10.5.2

From: David Reiser
Subject: Re: [Help-gnutls] Re: duplicate symbols complaint on Mac OS X 10.5.2
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:05:34 -0400

On Mar 18, 2008, at 5:32 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

Hi,

David Reiser <address@hidden> writes:

ld: duplicate symbol ___gmpz_abs in
.libs/libguile_gnutls_v_1_la-errors.o and
.libs/libguile_gnutls_v_1_la-core.o

That's weird since `__gmpz_abs' is supposedly inline.

Can you try compiling something like:

 #include <gmp.h>

 void
 foo (mpz_t a, mpz_t b)
 {
   mpz_abs (a, b);
 }

And then run:

 $ nm -g the-file.o | grep mpz_abs

Thanks,
Ludovic.

It turns out I am incapable of accomplishing that. Sorry. I can muddle through patches and packaging, but seem unable to resolve simple C problems. Using your fragment, I get:

Undefined symbols:
  "_main", referenced from:
      start in crt1.10.5.o
  "___gmpz_abs", referenced from:
      _foo in ccfgyRYz.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If I throw in a 'main ()' to quiet the first error, I end up with 'error: syntax error before ‘{’ token'

That said, there have been other problems with inline functions and Apple's linker in OS X 10.5.2. I'll try building on 10.4 to see if that works.

Thanks for the help.

Dave
--
David Reiser