help-gnutls

Heuristically picking # of bits for gnutls_dh_params_generate2

From: Sam Varshavchik
Subject: Heuristically picking # of bits for gnutls_dh_params_generate2
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:41:42 -0500

Does anyone happen to know of a good heuristic to come up with some reasonable number of bits at runtime that I can give to gnutls_dh_params_generate2, and have reasonably odds of coming up with a DH pair in, maybe, 5-10 seconds.

I was hacking on some code in a 32 bit guest VM, and I thought that I was corrupting something, because gnutls_dh_params_generate2 was seemingly getting stuck, spinning forever. But it turns out that it was really just very, very slow.

I don't think it's the VM itself, it seems to run reasonably well to me. Regular compiles get completed at a fairly reasonable pace. I don't know if it's just that gmp is slow on i686, if something is not right with the rnd generator, or something other reason. I'm just used to my native x86-64 bare metal cranking out a key at a good clip. After feeding 2048 bits to gnutls_dh_params_generate2 it cranks something out in only a few seconds.

But, for whatever reason may be, flipping over to an i686 guest VM, and gnutls_dh_params_generate2 runs slow as molasses. I'm clocking a 1024 bit run of gnutls_dh_params_generate2 to take several minutes long, typically. Sometimes I get lucky, and come up with a 1024-bit based parameter in 5-10 seconds. But my last two runs took a minute and a half, and over three minutes, each, and that's typical. With GNUTLS_SEC_PARAM_NORMAL telling me that I should use 3072 bits, that'll probably take a day.