help-gnuts

[Help-gnuts] deathtrap

From: Christina Manuel
Subject: [Help-gnuts] deathtrap
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:20:47 -0500

I might have been foolish or wise, that depended on thegirl. William was considerably above middle height, slight andwell proportioned. Then he went forward and, bending down,kissed Mrs Colhouse on the cheek. Mrs Colhouse haddisappeared, the help was clearing the table. I suppose it would be the best way to make money. He wouldnt beable to face it alone, nor could I. She was unable to resist putting acontemptuous tone into her voice. They got on well together and he told hermany things she wanted to know. When I got back, there were threereporters waiting for me. Richard would not have that, he would sleep on the sofa, he said. I cant see why you should bepleased at that. He could sleep on the doormat for all she cared. Dear old Dick, lets go and leave her alone. Thehabitual pose was that of concentrated attention. His voice dropped as he uttered the last words. Turning round,she found herself face to face with Mr MAlpin. He told me there was nothing to beashamed of. Richard looked up, still holding the telegram. I think your mother willunderstand better. Why couldnt he say what he meant instead ofimplying all sorts of things? Give mehis beastly card and Ill answer him. Richard would not have that, he would sleep on the sofa, he said. When I got back, there were threereporters waiting for me. Elinor thought he uttered the last words bitterly. The eyeswere of lighter colour and the pose lacked Williams grace. The sooner he learnt that she could be as indifferent as he was, thebetter! Richard wondered what settling up Ada would do. He was standing beside her leaning against the bed with his hand on theedge of the bag. I shall call you mammy now, he said gaily. Richard tried to speak but the words would not come. Of course you can tell it all overagain to her if you like. Ill just leave my bag at the cottage for now, I want to be in the air. Shepassed the paper back to him without comment; it seemed wisest to saynothing. And how he suffered from the singing of the hymns and the funeralflowers! He began angrily: How dare that cad Galton send you that box of sweets. No man can stand burningthe candle at both ends indefinitely. The shrill biting tone was more than Richard could bear. Has the Governor given you any idea of what youre going to do? He threw himself down on the grass and rested his forehead on his arms.