RE: Varför segmenteringsfel?

From: Vincent Penquerc'h
Subject: RE: Varför segmenteringsfel?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:24:20 +0100

> Thanks! I just figured out that it works with char a[] = "xy". But I will
> test -fwriteable-strings. I didn't know there was such an option. Thanks.

a* is a pointer, which points to a read only xopy of the string.
a[] is an array, with allocated space (writeable) for your string, which
is placed in a writeable section. If you do:

char *a="FOOBAR";
char *b="FOOBAR";

then one copy only of FOOBAR will be emitted (though this is not dictated
by the standard, just a common optimization), but if you do:

char a[]="FOOBAR";
char b[]="FOOBAR";

then two distinct modifiable sgtrings will be emitted. Your responsibility
to know whhat to use, depending on whwther you want to afford the space.

--
Lyrian