gcc cant find iostream

From: Jürgen Eisele
Subject: gcc cant find iostream
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:46:41 +0200

Hi,
I use the gcc compiler under SuSE-Linux 7.1. I have trouble using commands
from the iostream library.
When writing e.g.

#include <iostream.h>
 main()
{
cout << "Something";
}

and compiling with gcc -o out out.cc -liostream

I get the error message:
/usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld cannot find -liostream
and omitting the -liostream the error message is:
undefined reference to cout.

So the compiler cannot find the iostream library, which however there and
is located in usr/include/g++/

Do you know how to make the compiler find the library?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Jürgen

Jürgen Eisele
Max-Planck-Institut für Chemie, Abteilung Geochemie
Postfach 3060, 55020 Mainz
Tel.: +49/(0)6131/305-361
mobil: 0171/3735525
Fax: +49/(0)6131/371-051