Porting G++, etc.

From: Hugh C. Lauer
Subject: Porting G++, etc.
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:53:35 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to scope out the size of a project to port G++ to a proprietary VLIW processor.  The processor has some interesting pipelined vector operations, which we can optimize.  However, we need to get a target cross-compiler off the ground first.  Compilation host would be Windows or Linux, target is the processor in question.

So, my questions are

  • How big a job (starting from scratch with the open source and tools) is it to get a compiler and necessary libraries up and running to compile to my target?  I.e., how many person-years of work?  What kind of skill set do I need to accumulate for the team?  (I know that this question does not have a simple answer, but I am trying to get a feel for how much to bite off.)

  • Are there commercial organizations out there who can do this for a fee?  I am looking for someone with a good record of porting to strange architectures.

Please reply off-list.

Thanks,

Hugh C. Lauer

VP of Processor Engineering