Need to pack our data structures with a 1 byte boundary alignment using

From: Stephan Meszaros
Subject: Need to pack our data structures with a 1 byte boundary alignment using gcc on Linux and Solaris
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:57:02 -0500

We are porting a software that communicate with a target machine through a UDP
socket from Windows to Linux and possibly Solaris.
The target machine requires that the information buffer has to be packed with a
1 byte boundary. No filling, all the bytes together.
I succeeded to compile on Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-81 using gcc version 2.96
20000731 but I could not communicate with the Targe machine
When I look at the buffer I was sending, I realized that the byte alignment was
on a 2 bytes boundary. I try to use the -Dpreferred-stack-boundary=0 but that
did not change anything.

Is there another gcc compiler option on Linux or Solaris that I could use in
order to pack my data structures with a 1 byte boundary?

Thank you in advance

Stephan Meszaros
<mailto:smeszaros@avantas.com>

Software Engineering / Ingénierie Logiciel
Exfo Protocol Inc.