G++ / Alpha assembler problem

From: Stephen Gross
Subject: G++ / Alpha assembler problem
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 08:51:20 -0400 (EDT)

I'm trying to figure out an assembler problem I have. Here's my setup:

GCC: Version 3.3.1
Platform: Alpha
Operating system: Compaq Tru64 Unix version 5.1
Assembler: adu (Compaq assembler, version 3.04.34)

When I execute the following compile instruction:

        g++ -g somefile.cpp

it compiles ok, but I get an errors from a program called mips_tfile,
which reports a "string too big" error.

I have researched this problem, and it appears that it was very much an
issue in GCC 2.95. I have tried applying the following bug fix, to no
avail:

(1) Invoke the old Compaq assembler by passing the -oldas option:

        g++ -g -Wa,-oldas somefile.cpp

        Which still generates the same error.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
--Steve

Stephen Gross
Case Western School of Medicine
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
(216)778-7394