Re: windows programming with g++

From: Guy Harrison
Subject: Re: windows programming with g++
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:54:10 +0100

http://www.mingw.org
http://www/cygwin.com

> I just tried compiling a sample windows programming using g++,

Likely you're using one of the above. More tools in MSYS for mingw. Peruse
setup.exe packages for cygwin.

> but I
> got an error saying it could not find the header file "afxwin.h",
> which I assume is a windows-specific library file that obvioulsy
> wouldn't come with g++.

Headers prefixed with afx are typically Microsoft Foundation Classes. For
sure <afxwin.h> is MFC. It's appearance will pretty much tie you to VC
compiler (same as VCL code ties you to Borland). You may get MFC ideas from
www.winehq.org but seriously consider if cross-platform solution such as
www.wxwindows.org (there are others) would be better use of your time.

> Perhaps there's a way to get all the
> necessary windows library  files and put them where g++ can find them?
> Or am I walking down the wrong path?
>
> Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Avoid MFC ;-)

--
Guy Harrison