Re: Installation help

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Installation help
Date: 08 May 2004 13:59:39 -0700

"Durward Bishop" <bishopds@bellsouth.net> writes:

> I need someone help. I am trying tio install the GNUmake and GCC 3.4.0 files
> onto my computer "Windows XP" op system. I have tried following the books
> and installation files but to no avail;. I can't even get the configure
> function to work correctly. Can someone be of assistance in getting me
> started. You would think with all the benefits to the program it wouldn't be
> so difficult to get it started.

I am assuming you want to compile the GNUmake and gcc from source.

Most of the GNU software expects a UNIX-like OS with a reasonable
command-line shell, which  WinXP doesn't have.

Begin by installing cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com), which provides
such shell. Incidentally, cygwin also provides (pre-compiled) GNU
make and gcc (currently 3.3.3).

Once you have cygwin, 'configure' will work, and you can compile
the rest of GNU programs from source.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.