Re: Bizarre linkage problem involving archives

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Bizarre linkage problem involving archives
Date: 15 May 2004 23:21:28 -0700

JoJoTwilligo@hotmail.com (Jo) writes:

> Actually, funny thing, it turns out it wasn't a problem of archives
> and stuff, it was the order I specified the files.

Ah, so you lied to us: you said your command line was:

  g++ ... -o executable ../mysql_support/libMySQLsupport.a
  ../common/libcommon.a

but it wasn't.

>    I'm very suprised by this, though.

You should not be.

> I thought that when a reference
> is found, the linker looks at all the defined symbols everywhere
> (whether they be in object files, archives or whatever) and gives up
> only if the definition is no where.

That's not how most linkers work with archive libraries.
To understand how they do work (and possibly how to fix your new
problems), read this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=qt7B7.4096%24AQ6.384368%40newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net

> Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov-nsp@charter.net> wrote in message

Please do not top-post.