Optimization problems with g++ 3.4

From: Marc-oliver Gewaltig
Subject: Optimization problems with g++ 3.4
Date: 18 May 2004 07:31:04 -0700

Hi,

I have a set of problems with g++ 3.4.0 which are related
to optimization and are, additionally, platform specific.
Unfortunately, I was not able to come up with a reduced testcase, so
I try to list the most important characteristics and hope that one or
some of you have encountered a similar problem.

1. The code compiles without warnings.
2. The executable runs fine when compiled with -O0, -O1, and -Os
3. If compiled with -O2 or -O3 the code seg faults on i686-pc-linux-gnu
4. If compiled with -O2 or -O3 the code runs fine on sparc-sun-solaris2.8

5. I have tried to locate the error with gdb, but it seems that the
   call stack which is visible in gdb is allmost totally lost. With this
   I mean, that I do not get a call-stack which roots in main(), but only
   one level is present. When using -O3, however, I do have a full call
   stack visible in gdb.

6. Needless to say that the point of seg-fault moves away from my attempts to
   catch it with "traditional" methods, like assertions and debug messages.

Has enybody encountered something similar?
How likely is it that the bug is in our code?
(remember, the crash is platform specific)
Can it be that there is a i686 specific optimization problem?

Any Help/comment is appreciated.

Thanks

Oliver

Dr. Marc-Oliver Gewaltig