Re: pointer to function. why doesn't this compiler

From: 2boxers
Subject: Re: pointer to function. why doesn't this compiler
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 17:44:53 -0400

On Thu, 27 May 2004 17:35:56 -0400, "Ron Natalie" <ron@sensor.com>
wrote:

>"2boxers" <2boxers_at_comcast_dot_net> wrote in message
>vgmcb0panm9atlp5bi95btvt2np7hgg1ok@4ax.com">news:vgmcb0panm9atlp5bi95btvt2np7hgg1ok@4ax.com...
>> Can somebody tell me why the following program fails to compile?
>> I am using gcc-3.4.0.
>>
>> #include <iostream>
>> using namespace std;
>
>Try changing the above line to
>    using std::cout;

Since posting I realized that minus was the name of a template
function in one of the compiler's header files.

gcc-3.2.2 was kind enough to give an error that called my use of
"minus" ambiguous and then pointed out that minus was a function being
used elsewhere as well.

gcc-3.4.0 erroneuosly says that the "minus" is undeclared which is
just wrong.

using std::cout; works as does changing the name minus to Minus as I
realized just before my post.

Thanks,
ChasW