Re: GDB GUI?

From: Enrique Perez-Terron
Subject: Re: GDB GUI?
Date: 27 Oct 2004 21:30:47 +0200

"Dave Arndt" <da@hotmail.com> wrote pretty long time ago, but I try an
answer nevertheless:

> Can anyone recommend a GUI shell for debugging with GDB on Windows (using
> Cygwin toolset).
>
> I've been trying without success to get Eclipse/CDT to do the job: It
> crashes if I attempt to debug a main that is linked to a shared library.
> Very frustrating.   There's also this really lame tool called "Insight" that
> crashes all over the place.
>
> Any recommendations?  Or is command line gdb the only alternative?

I recently tried "ddd", and liked it. But I run Linux and write C, so
maybe it isn't as suited for C++ or for the Windows environment.

You can certainly run gdb inside Emacs or Xemacs, that gives you at
least some "gui" aspects, as emacs will automatically open the source
file and point to the appropriate line when you reach breakpoints, or
step through the program.

But "ddd" allowed me to point at a variable (hoover, without
clicking), and the value of the variable appears in a "tooltip",
similar to Visual Studio.  Some aspects of ddd still reveal how it
works through the gdb command line interface. For instance there is a
little text field above the code window which shows the text that will
be used as an arg to the next command. Usually it somehow contains
just the right thing, but if you disagree, you can edit it, and viola!

Regards
Enrique