Re: GCC for Mac OS X

From: Gary Labowitz
Subject: Re: GCC for Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:15:51 -0500

"Larry Barowski" <MElarrybar-AT-eng_DOT_auburnANOTHERDOTeduEND> wrote in
message 10vg0mh9027hr79@corp.supernews.com">news:10vg0mh9027hr79@corp.supernews.com...

> "Gary Labowitz" <glabowitz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> JaWdnY7_XebIXmrcRVn-tQ@comcast.com">news:JaWdnY7_XebIXmrcRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
> > Current direction I'm going is using jGrasp for the IDE and whatever
> > compiler I can get my hands on. (I'm looking at the g++) However, your
> post
> > gives me hope that all I need to do is give jGrasp the path to a copy of
> the
> > XTools compiler which is probably on his computer. If this is correct,
can
> > you give me any clue as to the directory structure used? Once that path
is
> > in there I think we are okay for simply compiles and run (this is a
basic
> > course).
>
> If/once the Developer Tools are installed, "c++" should be on
> the PATH. To make that the default C++ compiler for jGRASP,
> go to "Settings" / "Compiler Settings" / "Workspace", select
> language "C++" if not already selected, select compiler
> environment "c++ (g++) - Mac OS X" and hit the "use" button.
> If some "g++" is installed, the default compiler environment in
> jGRASP will work.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was thinking. The student has already
found a link to downloading jGrasp at the Apple site. The only problem I see
now is that he needs Java (JVM) installed to run jGrasp. I don't know if
there is a Java Runtime in the OS X system or if we also have to download
and install the JVM from Sun. If you have any further information about this
I would appreciate it.
--
Gary