g++/cpp 3.3.5 internal error - how can I work-around?

From: Carsten Fuchs
Subject: g++/cpp 3.3.5 internal error - how can I work-around?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:08:22 +0200

Dear ng,

with one of my C++ source files, I'm currently experiencing an internal compiler error with g++/cpp 3.3.5 on my Debian Sarge system.

(Actually, running g++ -E ... terminates with an internal error. The normal call to g++ without the -E complains about hundreds of stray characters after the end of the source file. This is probably because the inherently called cpp crashed before.)

The error does not occur with GCC 3.4. I've tried making 3.4 work for my programs for many days now, trying all ways to deal with the ABI incompatibilities that I could think of, but finally there remain problems on all ends (3.3.5 being the Debian system compiler), so that upgrading to GCC 3.4 is not an option.

Thus, I'm looking now for a way to work-around the cpp bug in 3.3.5, other than blindly guessing and trying to modify the source.

Any ideas?

I'd be very grateful for any hints.
Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,