Re: Bugs in my code, help!!

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Bugs in my code, help!!
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 09:49:49 -0800

"Al-Burak" <jalqadir@netscape.net> writes:

> This is not a question where the source code is important,

Yes, it is. You saying it isn't doesn't make it so.

> This is a bug, obviously, and I will eventually find the bug; however
> my question is, does anyone here know a better way to find this kind of
> errors than to go line by line looking for the bug?

The *trivial* way to find this bug is as follows:
assuming 'g++ -c -I... Person.cc' is the command that fails, do

  g++ -E -I... Person.cc > Person.ii

Now open 'Person.ii' in your editor, and search for 'class Person'.

There can not be more than one definition, i.e. 'class Person { ... };'

> Is there a
> parameter in GCC that I can use so that the compiler is more specific,

G++ is usually already specific enough, e.g.

$ cat junk.cc
class Person { int x; };
class Person { int x; };

$ g++ -c junk.cc
junk.cc:2: error: redefinition of `class Person'
junk.cc:1: error: previous definition of `class Person'

Here g++ tells me that I've redefined 'class Person' on line 2,
and where the previous definition is.

> or become more elaborate in what/where the error is?

In the future, you'll do well to at least post the error message
you are getting. You may also wish to read this:

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.