ld Linker extremely slow. Possible to optimze link time?

From: Stephan Kuhagen
Subject: ld Linker extremely slow. Possible to optimze link time?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 11:36:53 +0100

Hello

Sorry if this is not the right newsgroup. If so, please direct me to the
right one.

I have some shared libs which link very slow. From about 350 libs, most of
them link in nearly no time, but for some ld needs about 30 Minutes to link
and uses about 260 MB of RAM (on Linux, FC6/32bit, on a AMD Athlon 64 X2
Dual Core Processor 4400+, 2GB RAM). The slow libs make heavy usage of
templates, if this is a hint, and link to a bunch of external libs (ITK, if
someone knows them).

I tried to set --hash-size=X with X from 112000 to 512000, but memory usage
of ld is always the same and performance also. Are there any other tricks
to improve the speed, or do I have to live with that? (Makes it very hard
to use, since re-compilation is done continuously...)

Thanks for any hints
Regards
Stephan