Re: g++ windows XP install propblems - path

From: Ulrich Eckhardt
Subject: Re: g++ windows XP install propblems - path
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:56:03 +0100

dtshedd@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have recently downloaded the following version of g++
>
> gcc-g++-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz

Why not a recent release?

> I extracted all the files, and tried to compile the following simple
> script;
>
>   #include "iostream.h"
>   int main()
>   {
>     cout << "Hello...\n";
>   }

Okay, if you expect that to compile, you also need to update your own
knowledge of C++. I suggest you take a look at the book reviews at ACCU's
and use a prepackaged, binary release of the compiler, e.g. DevC++ or
mingw32.

#include <iostream>
#include <ostream>
int main() {
  std::cout << "Cheers!" << std::endl;
}

> I used the following command
>
> g++ hello.C -o hello

Two things:
1. Windows doesn't differ between .c and .C, you would be better off to use
the equally common .cpp for C++ code.
2. Never compile without warnings, for g++ 3 that would be -W -Wall and for
g++ 4 it would be -W -Wextra.

> my past experiences with gcc (very dated) was that you added a number
> of folders to the path statement via the autoexec.bat file.  I
> searched the newsgroups for a list of the folders to add but could not
> locate this information.  I also noted that while Windows NT used an
> autoexec.nt file as a replacement for autoexec.bat, XP does not appear
> to have a similar file.  SO I am assuming I would have to add this
> string to the environment variable under My Compuer-Properties-
> Advanced-Environment Variables

This installation technique was probably geared at DJGPP and rather suited
to DOS systems (it ran on win9x because they were largely DOS-based).

Use mingw32, this binary distribution already gives you everything,
including a compiler and some other tools. In any case you have everything
in order to compile programs together.

Uli

--
http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html