Re: g++ warnings differ

From: Bernd Strieder
Subject: Re: g++ warnings differ
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:46:15 +0200

Hello,

Simon wrote:

> I compiled the same source code on Solaris 8 with g++ 3.3.2 and on
> Debian Linux with g++ 3.3.5 using -Wall and -O2. After getting all the
> warnings out of the Solaris compiler I ftp'ed the code to the Debian
> Linux machine and then got more warnings. I think the warnings are
> legitimate I just don't understand why two 3.3.x compilers would
> differ in warnings???

There are many warnings depending on information gathered during
optimization stages. There are different optimizations turned on and
off for different architectures, because they wouldn't be worth the
effort, or would even produce worse results, so the compiler might not
be able to find the same warnings on all architectures.

The meaning of -O2 and -Wall has had quite some changes, perhaps even
within a minor release branch.

Bernd Strieder