Re: [G++ n00b] getche() in G++ ?

From: Stefan Kristensen
Subject: Re: [G++ n00b] getche() in G++ ?
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 09:33:56 +0100

Hello boys and girls.

Some of us here are quite old :-(

How about 'experienced'? ;-)

I'm refreshing my C++

For that, I recomment abandoning your old school book, and getting
excellent, modern and concise "Accelerated C++":

I have ordered it from the local library.

My old school book has an example that uses getche(), which I

getchar() is close, but not exactly equivalent.
Reading keyboard *immediately* (without waiting for carriage return)
is rather tricky on UNIX.

Ok. I can live with getchar().

I use fgets() to read a string, but don't want to pertain the newline charcter. In the old days, I used flushall(), but that doesn't seem to be valid either. What do I do here?

And while we are at it: The same question for clrscr() ;-)

That's also quite tricky, because there is no 'screen' that you
can clear. If you really want it, you can read about curses terminal
manipulation library. "man curs_clear" or "man wclear" may work.

system("clear"); gives the desired result.

Best regards
Stefan