Customize grub

From: Cesare Leonardi
Subject: Customize grub
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 01:54:30 +0100

Hello folks.

I'm trying grub2 (1.96) inside qemu, using Debian Sid.
Grub2 was installed as an upgrade from grub1 and everything went smooth.

The question is: and now how can i customize my boot loader? How can i add my boot entry with my customized settings? What is the configuration file that i can edit manually to make experiments? If i open "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" a comment says that it is generated automatically and so it may not be edited. To enforce this, it's set read-only also for root. The same comment informs that the file is generated from the "/etc/grub.d/" templates and from the instructions found in "/etc/default/grub". The templates aren't conffile but scripts, so not a comfortable place for a user to personalize (and understand). The latter conffile seems only for variable definitions.
Man pages describes briefly only the specific command which they refers to.
No help found in "/usr/share/doc/grub-pc/".
Browsing "http://grub.enbug.org"; doesn't help me much more (a little howto for a simple configuration should be very helpful).

I feel a bit confused.
Regards.

Cesare.