GRUB2 / Intel Mac Mini / USB Key

From: Trevor Peirce
Subject: GRUB2 / Intel Mac Mini / USB Key
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:41:35 -0700

Hello,

I am trying to boot an Intel Mac Mini into a Gentoo kernel living on a USB Key. Currently rEFIt is installed and provides dual boot to OSX and Gentoo on the hard drive.

I have a USB Key that is set up with GPT and hosts an ext2 filesystem. GRUB2 is installed, and key has been bless'd by OSX. When booting, rEFIt shows the option to boot and will boot into GRUB2.

I can choose the kernel and GRUB appears to load it.  Then it freezes.

cube3 grub # cat grub.cfg
set timeout=10
set debug=10

menuentry "Cube Key Loader" {
       set root=(hd0,1)
linux /boot/cubekernel root=/dev/sda5 ro video=imacfb:mini acpi=force libata.atapi_enabled=1 pcboot=cdrom gpt
}

I have also tried "linux /boot/cubekernel" just to see if that would work. It didn't.

The last thing I'll see on the screen is

Booting "Cube Key Loader"...

[Linux-EFI, onetag=somenumber, another-tag=anothernumber]

Then the system hangs.

This exact same kernel is working when booted from rEFIt on the harddrive.

Any ideas, suggestions, questions?

Thanks,
Trevor Peirce